Controlled Substances

Purchasing Controlled Substances: The CMF cannot sell controlled substances, they can administer them for a fee. A request for this service must be made in advance. If you will be using controlled substances in your research protocol, you will have to obtain both a State and Federal Research DEA number. This process takes several months to complete. The application and instructions for the State of Illinois Controlled Substances Research license can be found at Once the Illinois license is approved, you may submit online for a Federal Research Controlled Substance license. Illinois applications are submitted on hard copy via the U.S. mail. Federal licenses are submitted online. Information for obtaining a Federal license can be found at