Stritch School of Medicine M4 students in good academic standing are eligible for 4-8 weeks of credit through International Electives supported by the CCGH. These electives do not count toward a student's external elective credits, involve a formal process of application, and are of two types: Intramural and External.
- Interested students attend an information meeting during the Spring of M3 year to learn more about application procedures and timeline, which may vary each year;
- Generally, however, applications for Intramural Electives must be submitted by July of M4 year and External Electives by October of M4 year, though certain sites may require submission of specific documents sooner.
- Funding for International Electives may be available in the form of reimbursement;
- Definitive information regarding funding is shared by November of M4 year with students approved for International Electives;
- The amounts awarded vary based on the total number of students participating in International Electives in a given year and do not fully cover expenses: students must anticipate paying for a portion of their expenses.
Intramural Electives exist at health care sites with long-standing relationships with CCGH and other Loyola faculty. The electives are coordinated closely with the CCGH, with students being supervised by local attending physicians over a 4-week rotation:
- Centro de Salud Susan Hou, Santa Cruz and Palacios, Bolivia (CCGH-403)
- Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (CCGH-405)
- Centro de Salud, Santa Clotilde, Iquitos, Peru (CCGH-406)
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana (CCGH-407)
- The First People’s Hospital of Changzhou, Changzhou, China (CCGH-411)
External, or Individually Designed, Electives do not have a formal affiliation or partnership with the CCGH.
Students interested in enrolling in electives not in the CCGH Course Catalog, may apply for 4-8 weeks of elective credit through CCGH-499.
Early planning is crucial to success in arranging such electives and students may consider referring to the online resource "Planning Your Global Health Elective" for guidance.
External Elective Examples:
- Child Family Health International (CFHI)
- Health through Walls organization with SSOM alum, John May, MD
- Himalayan Health Exchange
- Indian Health Service at Chinle, AZ - Very early planning is required for placement.
- Institute for International Medicine
- Santiago, Dominican Republic (ENT)