Master of Arts in
HEALTH CARE MISSION LEADERSHIP
The Master of Arts in Health Care Mission Leadership offers professional preparation for those in senior leadership positions in a health care environment who are charged with developing, enhancing, cultivating, and protecting the identity and mission of their organizations. This interdisciplinary program is offered collaboratively by Loyola’s Neiswanger Institute for Bioethics and Health Care Leadership at the Stritch School of Medicine, the Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing, and the Institute of Pastoral Studies. It integrates courses from theology, spirituality, bioethics, organizational development, and leadership to offer a well-rounded degree pertinent to the work being done in Catholic hospitals and health systems throughout the world.
About the MASTER'S DEGREE (M.A.)
The curriculum for the Master of Arts in Health Care Mission Leadership is designed to meet the Competencies for Mission Leaders outlined by the Catholic Health Association via a series of twelve foundational courses (36 credit hours). Since participants in this program will come with a wide range of past education and experience, this curriculum can be tailored to each applicant’s background. Candidates demonstrating graduate-level training in a competency represented by a particular foundational course may substitute other courses in that or another competency area.
- IPS 570 Introduction to Theology and Ministry
- IPS 402 Church and Mission
- IPS 531 Christian Doctorine and History
- IPS 545 Foundations of Christian Spirituality
- IPS 403 Spirituality and World Religions
- BEHL 401 Clinical Bioethics
- BEHL 416 Catholic Bioethics and Social Justice
- BEHL 414 Moral Theology for Bioethics
- CMAN 468 Advanced Concepts in Health Systems Management
- CMAN 533 Fiscal Management in Health Care Organization
- BEHL 419 Organizational Ethics II
- BEHL 422 Practicum in Organizational Ethics OR
- BEHL 492 Master's Research Capstone
Click for complete COURSE DESCRIPTIONS.
THE HEALTH CARE MISSION LEADERSHIP PROGRAM CAN BE COMPLETED ENTIRELY ONLINE
Our online graduate degree programs offer a highly accessible option for working professionals and individuals looking for greater flexibility. Full-time students can complete the 36 credit hour degree program in two years. Loyola's innovative online environment encourages interaction, collaboration, and a sense of community among our students, while also offering a great depth of academic content. Our nationally-recognized faculty provides valuable engagement and networking among peers and experts in Catholic health care.
The interdisciplinary nature of the Master of Arts in Health Care Mission Leadership degree program makes it perfect for professionals who work in or aspire to work in faith-based health care leadership. The degree is especially suitable for persons already in positions that focus on “mission and identity,” “mission effectiveness,” or “mission leadership.”
MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIPS
Ask us about our academic merit-based, partial tuition scholarships for newly admitted master's degree program students. Be sure to check the financial aid box on your application to apply.
Key features of our online graduate degree programs in Health Care Mission Leadership...
- Accept only top caliber adult learners.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are recognized scholars, active professionals, and dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- Combines the strengths of faculty located within a nationally-recognized medial school as well as an institute for ministry.
- Draws on the resources and excellence of a major Catholic and Jesuit university.
- Infused with the charism of Ignatian spirituality and its commitment to care for the whole person.
- Committed to diversity and inclusivity.
- Very high retention rate.
Accredited and ranked...
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- U.S. News and World Report has ranked Loyola consistently among the "top national universities" and "best values" in its annual publications.
- Washington Monthly ranks Loyola among the top 100 national universities, emphasizing social mobility, research and service.
- US News ranks Loyola among the top 50 Best Value Colleges.
Flexible distance learning program...
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals.
- Our master's degree and certificate programs can be completed entirely online.
- Our optional summer blended courses offer face to face interaction with fellow students and faculty. (Only 2-3 days on campus required.)
Participation in the professional bioethics discourse...
- Our students, graduates and faculty routinely publish their work and present at national meetings.
- Loyola University Chicago is a proud member of the Catholic Health Association.
- Members of Loyola's Healthcare Mission Leadership Advisory Council hail from leading Catholic health systems.