HEALTHCARE MISSION LEADERSHIP
As the position of mission leadership has evolved over the past two decades, leaders working in Catholic healthcare cite an increasing need for well-prepared executives with deep understanding of Catholic theology, bioethics, practical business acumen, and organizational leadership who can function in an executive capacity to guide increasingly complex organizations.
Our interdisciplinary online Doctorate in Healthcare Mission Leadership builds on the MA in Healthcare Mission Leadership degree and provides a professional, doctoral-level preparation for individuals who hold or will hold positions of senior leadership within Catholic healthcare organizations.
The first and only doctoral-level graduate program in healthcare mission leadership in the U.S. is now accepting applications for Spring 2020 admission.
Now accepting applications for Summer 2020 through May 1st and Fall 2020 term through August 1st.
“One of the most formative things about the mission leadership graduate programs at Loyola is the engagement with diverse groups of faculty and professionals who help you develop your own theological and ethical thought. This type of engagement gradually leads to the inculcation of practical wisdom over time. This is the strength of Jesuit education.”
Cory D. Mitchell, MA
About the DOCTORATE (D.HCML)
The Doctorate in Healthcare Mission Leadership (D.HCML) consists of 66 hours of course credit. The D.HCML is a professional doctoral degree (not a PhD degree) requiring approximately 30 hours course credit beyond the typical 36 credit hour M.A. in Healthcare Mission Leadership, Bioethics, Theology, Pastoral Studies, MBA, or Healthcare Management.
DOCTORATE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- Theology and Bioethics (30 hours)**
- Organizational Management and Leadership (15 hours)**
- Five Specific Required Doctoral Courses (15 hours)*
- Three Integrated Seminars in Healthcare, Theology and Ethics (ISHTE)
- Sponsorship and Church Relations
- Ministry Leadership Formation
- Two Doctoral Capstone Courses (6 hours)*
- In-person Capstone Presentation*
** Students may transfer up to 33 credit hours of coursework from an external MA degree based on curricular requirements. Prior graduate coursework will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Click for complete COURSE DESCRIPTIONS.
The interdisciplinary nature of the Doctorate in Healthcare Mission Leadership degree program makes it perfect for professionals who work in or aspire to work in faith-based healthcare leadership. The degree is especially suitable for persons already in positions that focus on mission and identity, mission effectiveness, mission leadership or ministry leadership formation.
Key features of our online graduate degree programs in Healthcare Mission Leadership...
- Accept only top caliber adult learners.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are recognized scholars, active professionals, and dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- Combines the strengths of faculty located within a nationally-recognized medial school as well as an institute for ministry.
- Draws on the resources and excellence of a major Catholic and Jesuit university.
- Infused with the charism of Ignatian spirituality and its commitment to care for the whole person.
- Committed to diversity and inclusivity.
- Very high retention rate.
Accredited and ranked...
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- U.S. News and World Report has ranked Loyola consistently among the "top national universities" and "best values" in its annual publications.
- Washington Monthly ranks Loyola among the top 100 national universities, emphasizing social mobility, research and service.
- US News ranks Loyola among the top 50 Best Value Colleges.
Flexible distance learning program...
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals.
- Our master's degree and certificate programs can be completed entirely online.
- Our optional summer blended courses offer face to face interaction with fellow students and faculty. (Only 2-3 days on campus required.)
Participation in the professional discourse...
- Our students, graduates and faculty routinely publish their work and present at national meetings.
- Loyola University Chicago is a proud member of the Catholic Health Association.
- Members of Loyola's Healthcare Mission Leadership Advisory Council hail from leading Catholic health systems.