HEALTHCARE MISSION LEADERSHIP
As the position of mission leadership has evolved over the past three decades, leaders working in Catholic healthcare cite an increasing need for well-prepared executives with deep understanding of Catholic theology, bioethics, practical business acumen, and organizational leadership who can function in an executive capacity to guide increasingly complex organizations.
Our interdisciplinary online Doctorate in Healthcare Mission Leadership builds on the MA in Healthcare Mission Leadership and provides a professional, doctoral-level preparation for individuals who hold or will hold positions of senior leadership within Catholic healthcare organizations.
Loyola offers the first and only doctoral-level graduate program in Healthcare Mission Leadership in the U.S.
Now accepting applications for Fall thru August 1, Spring thru December 1!
“One of the most formative things about the mission leadership graduate programs at Loyola is the engagement with diverse groups of faculty and professionals who help you develop your own theological and ethical thought. This type of engagement gradually leads to the inculcation of practical wisdom over time. This is the strength of Jesuit education.”
Cory D. Mitchell, MA
About the DOCTORATE (D.HCML)
The Doctorate in Healthcare Mission Leadership (D.HCML) consists of 66 hours of course credit. The D.HCML is a professional doctoral degree (not a PhD degree) requiring approximately 33 hours course credit beyond the typical M.A. in Healthcare Mission Leadership, Bioethics, Theology, Pastoral Studies, MBA, or Healthcare Management.
Students may transfer up to 33 credit hours of coursework from an external MA degree toward the D.HCML based on curricular requirements. Prior graduate coursework will be evaluated on an individual basis. Each student's course of study will be tailored to build on and complement their previous coursework.
DOCTORATE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- Theology and Bioethics (30 hours)
- Organizational Management and Leadership (15 hours)
- Five Specific Required Doctoral Courses (15 hours)
- Three Integrated Seminars in Ethics, Theology and Healthcare
- Canon Law, Sponsorship and Church Relations
- Ministry Leadership Formation
- Two Doctoral Capstone Courses (6 hours)
- Matriculants in the Doctoral program are expected to maintain a 3.5 GPA
Click for complete COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
Click for DHCML Sample Course Plan (pdf file)
The interdisciplinary nature of the Doctorate in Healthcare Mission Leadership degree program makes it perfect for professionals who work in or aspire to work in faith-based healthcare leadership. The degree is especially suitable for persons already in positions that focus on mission and identity, mission effectiveness, mission leadership or ministry leadership formation.
Key features of our online graduate degree programs in Healthcare Mission Leadership...
- Accept only top caliber adult learners.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are recognized scholars, active professionals, and dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- Combines the strengths of faculty located within a nationally-recognized medial school as well as an institute for ministry.
- Draws on the resources and excellence of a major Catholic and Jesuit university.
- Infused with the charism of Ignatian spirituality and its commitment to care for the whole person.
- Committed to diversity and inclusivity.
- Very high retention rate.
Accredited and ranked...
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- Loyola University Chicago has been offering high quality online graduate education in bioethics for over 20 years. Loyola is widely recognized as a leader in online education. In fact, Loyola's undergraduate online program is ranked #19 in US News and World Report.
- U.S. News and World Report has ranked Loyola consistently among the "top national universities" and "best values" in its annual publications. In 2018, Loyola ranks in the top 10% of US universities.
- Washington Monthly ranks Loyola among the top 100 national universities, emphasizing social mobility, research and service.
- US News ranks Loyola among the top Best Value Colleges.
Flexible distance learning program...
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals.
- Our master's degree and certificate programs can be completed entirely online.
- Our optional summer blended courses offer face to face interaction with fellow students and faculty. (Only 2-3 days on campus required.)
Participation in the professional discourse...
- Our students, graduates and faculty routinely publish their work and present at national meetings.
- Loyola University Chicago is a proud member of the Catholic Health Association.
- Members of Loyola's Healthcare Mission Leadership Advisory Council hail from leading Catholic health systems.