MASTER of ARTS in Bioethics & Health Policy
|"Being a very busy internist (the master's degree in bioethics) has allowed flexibility in my ability to learn, without detracting from my work... it's been a value to my career."
Jason Higginson, MD, MA
“The classes were all very relevant to the work I was doing in bioethics at the hospital where I work. I actually got to know and work with the professors and fellow students in this program more than that of my first Master’s degree- and that was a brick and mortar model! The faculty are very engaged and continue to remain involved with me even after graduation. I know I can contact any one of the faculty for input and direction and they will be there to assist. This program gave me what I was looking for and so much more. It is an excellent program.”
“Completing the Masters in Bioethics program at Loyola is one of the best things I have ever done!”
The key ingredients to a successful experience in an online educational program are the quality of the students and the dedication of the faculty. Our students typically have advanced or professional degrees in a variety of disciplines and they hail from all over the country (and even a few from outside the US). Our program attracts physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains, health care administrators, lawyers, researchers, and even a few of our own medical students.
Our faculty members are trained in a variety of disciplines: law, medical humanities, philosophy, psychology, public health, theology, and health care ethics. Moreover, our faculty members are dedicated online educators, with decades of combined experience teaching online and blended courses. Because of the commitment of our faculty to online education, we can boast a low attrition rate, and students typically complete the master’s program within 2 to 3 years.
We realize that in an age of high tech, students still expect high touch. Faculty members are readily available by e-mail or phone and we are heavily involved in the creation, preparation and teaching of our graduate online courses. We use a very user friendly course management system which involves both asynchronous discussions online as well as occasional real time web conferences. In many ways, our students prefer the asynchronous nature of our course discussions, as it affords them much more flexibility and convenience.
Now accepting applications for Summer 2018 term through May 5th.
Key features of our online graduate degree programs in bioethics...
- Only top caliber graduate or professional degreed adult learners accepted.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- Our program is committed to diversity and inclusivity.
- Very high retention rate.
Accredited and ranked...
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- U.S. News and World Report has ranked Loyola consistently among the "top national universities" and "best values" in its annual publications.
- Washington Monthly ranks Loyola among the top 100 national universities, emphasizing social mobility, research and service.
- US News ranks Loyola among the top 50 Best Value Colleges.
Flexible distance learning program...
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals.
- Our master's degree and certificate programs can be completed entirely online.
- Our optional summer blended courses offer face to face interaction with fellow students and faculty. (Only 2-3 days on campus required.)
Participation in the professional bioethics discourse...
- Our students, graduates and faculty routinely publish their work and present at national meetings.
ABOUT THE MASTER'S DEGREE (M.A.)
Students will complete 30 credits (5 required & 5 elective courses ) from a broad array of course offerings. The following are required:
- BEHP 401 Clinical Bioethics
- BEHP 402 Justice & Health Care
- BEHP 404 Biomedical Ethics & the Law
- BEHP 406 Principles of Health Care Ethics
- BEHP 492 Masters Research Capstone
Click for complete COURSE DESCRIPTIONS.
MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIPS
Ask us about our academic merit-based, partial tuition scholarships for newly admitted master's degree program students. Be sure to check the financial aid box on your application to apply.