DOCTORATE in BIOETHICS (D.Bioethics)
Our professional doctorate in bioethics (D.Bioethics) is a first of its kind and meets the growing need for advanced training in bioethics for those professionals that have increased responsibilities related to bioethics and health policy at their institution. Such individuals may serve as chair of a hospital’s ethics committee, perform clinical ethics consultations, have administrative oriented ethics work or are a steward for issues central to your institution’s mission and values. This degree offers healthcare professionals an opportunity to obtain a high quality doctorate through a hybrid delivery system (asynchronous online courses combined with blended courses that require 2-3 days of on-campus activity.)
Now accepting applications for Summer 2019 term through May 15th.
|"The doctoral degree in bioethics at Loyola has opened up opportunities to broaden my experience and my involvement in national bioethics in developing better programs for ethics education."
Richard Holt, MD, D.Bioethics (2012)
"The clinical courses that I took in the doctoral program have actually made me a better clinician in making bed side decisions. Not just in clinical ethics, but also as a healthcare provider."
ABOUT THE DOCTORATE DEGREE
The Doctorate in Bioethics (D.Bioethics) consists of 57 hours of course credit. The D.Bioethics is a professional doctoral degree (not a PhD degree) which typically requires 30 hours course credit (5 required courses and 5 elective courses) beyond the typical M.A. degree in Bioethics or Health Care Ethics.
Students will select a concentration requiring 3 specific required courses. Areas of concentration and course requirements are as follows:
- Catholic Bioethics - Moral Theology for Bioethics; Catholic Bioethics in Clinical Practice; Catholic Bioethics and Social Justice
- Organizational Ethics and Leadership - Organizational Ethics I; Organizational Ethics II; Practicum in Organizational Ethics
- Clinical Bioethics - Ethics Across the Care Continuum; Ethics Consultation Simulation Seminar; Advanced Clinical Ethics Skills Course or Practicum in Clinical Ethics
- Research Ethics - Research Ethics; Advanced Topics in Research Ethics; Empirical Bioethics or Practicum in Research Ethics
- Public Health Ethics - Public Health Ethics; Justice and Healthcare Ethics; Social Determinants of Health and Bioethics or Practicum in Public Health Ethics
- Qualifying written and oral examination Qualifying Exam FAQs
- Two doctoral capstone courses (these courses should result in peer reviewed articles)
- In-person capstone presentation
Click for complete Course Descriptions.
Key features of our online graduate degree programs in bioethics...
- Only top caliber graduate or professional degreed adult learners accepted.
Doctoral applicants should hold a master's degree in bioethics or healthcare ethics with a GPA of 3.67 or higher. Exceptional candidates who have an advanced degree in another discipline will be considered for admission.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- Our program is committed to diversity and inclusivity.
- Very high retention rate.
Accredited and ranked...
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- U.S. News and World Report has ranked Loyola consistently among the "top national universities" and "best values" in its annual publications. In 2018, Loyola ranks in the top 10% of US universities.
- Washington Monthly ranks Loyola among the top 100 national universities, emphasizing social mobility, research and service.
- US News ranks Loyola among the top Best Value Colleges.
Flexible distance learning program...
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals.
- Our master's degree and certificate programs can be completed entirely online.
- Our optional summer blended courses offer face to face interaction with fellow students and faculty. (Only 2-3 days on campus required.)
Participation in the professional bioethics discourse...
- Our students, graduates and faculty routinely publish their work and present at national meetings.