DOCTORATE in BIOETHICS (D.Bioethics)
Our professional doctorate in bioethics (D.Bioethics) is a first of its kind and meets the growing need for advanced training in bioethics for those professionals that have increased responsibilities related to bioethics and health policy at their institution. Such individuals may serve as chair of a hospital’s ethics committee, perform clinical ethics consultations, have administrative oriented ethics work or are a steward for issues central to your institution’s mission and values. This degree offers health care professionals an opportunity to obtain a high quality doctorate through a hybrid delivery system (asynchronous online courses combined with blended courses that require 2-3 days of on-campus activity.)
KEY FEATURES OF OUR ONLINE GRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMS IN BIOETHICS
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals. Only top caliber graduate or professional degreed adult learners accepted.
- An interdisciplinary, multicultural and pluralistic program.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- U.S. News and World Report has ranked Loyola consistently among the "top national universities" and "best values" in its annual publications.
- Washington Monthly ranks Loyola University Chicago among the top 100 national universities, emphasizing social mobility, research and service.
- Very high retention rate.
- Our program is committed to diversity and inclusivity.
- For those students who are able to devote full-time to the program, the convenience of online learning does offer the possibility to complete the master's degree in as short as one year.
- Although our masters and certificate programs can be completed entirely online, many students opt to take one of our many blended courses that allow face to face interaction with fellow students and faculty. These blended courses typically require 2-3 days of on campus attendance.
- Our students consistently participate in the professional bioethics discourse and routinely publish their work and present at national meetings. Click here for an up-to-date listing.
ABOUT THE DEGREE (D.Bioethics)
The Doctorate in Bioethics (D.Bioethics) consists of 57 hours of course credit. The D.Bioethics is a professional doctoral degree (not a PhD degree) which typically requires 30 hours course credit (5 required courses and 5 elective courses) beyond the typical M.A. degree in Bioethics or Health Care Ethics.
Students will select a concentration requiring 3 specific required courses. Areas of concentration and course requirements are as follows:
- Catholic Bioethics - Moral Theology for Bioethics; Catholic Bioethics in Clinical Practice; Catholic Bioethics and Social Justice
- Organizational Ethics and Leadership - Organizational Ethics I; Organizational Ethics II; Practicum in Organizational Ethics
- Clinical Bioethics - Ethics Across the Care Continuum; Ethics Consultation Simulation Seminar; Practicum in Clinical Ethics
- Research Ethics - Research Ethics; Advanced Topics in Research Ethics; Integrating Empirical Research in Ethics or Practicum in Research Ethics
- Public Health Ethics - Public Health Ethics; Justice and Healthcare Ethics; Social Science and Bioethics or Practicum in Public Health Ethics
- Qualifying written and oral examination Qualifying Exam FAQs
- Two doctoral capstone courses (these courses should result in peer reviewed articles)
- In-person capstone presentation
Click for complete Course Descriptions.
* Doctoral applicants must hold a master's degree in bioethics or health care ethics. Admission is highly competitive and only top caliber graduate or professional degreed adult learners accepted.