You are here
"Being a very busy internist (the master's degree in bioethics) has allowed flexibility in my ability to learn, without detracting from my work... it's been a value to my career."
Jason Higginson, MD, MA (2009)
MASTER'S of ARTS in BIOETHICS & HEALTH POLICY
The key ingredients to a successful experience in an online educational program are the quality of the students and the dedication of the faculty. Our students typically have advanced or professional degrees in a variety of disciplines and they hail from all over the country (and even a few from outside the US). Our program attracts physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains, health care administrators, lawyers, researchers, and even a few of our own medical students. Our faculty members are trained in a variety of disciplines: law, medical humanities, medicine, philosophy, psychology, public health, theology, and health care ethics. Moreover, our faculty members are dedicated online educators, with decades of combined experience teaching online and blended courses. Because of the commitment of our faculty to online education, we can boast a low attrition rate, and students typically complete the master’s program within 2 to 3 years.
We realize that in an age of high tech, students still expect high touch. Faculty members are readily available by e-mail or phone and we are heavily involved in the creation, preparation and teaching of our graduate online courses. We use a very user friendly course management system which involves both asynchronous discussions online as well as occasional real time conference calls. In many ways, our students prefer the asynchronous nature of our course discussions, as it affords them much more flexibility and convenience.
Now accepting applications for Fall 2014 semester through August 1st.
KEY FEATURES OF OUR ONLINE GRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMS IN BIOETHICS
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals. Only top caliber graduate or professional degreed adult learners accepted.
- An interdisciplinary, multicultural and pluralistic program.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- Very low attrition, 90% of students entering the program complete the degree.
- For those students who are able to devote full-time to the program, the convenience of online learning does offer the possibility to complete the master's degree in as short as one year.
- Our students routinely publish their work and present at national meetings. Click here for an up-to-date listing.
ABOUT THE DEGREE
Students will complete 30 credits (10 courses) from a broad array of offerings that include the following required courses: Clinical Bioethics, Justice & Health Care, Biomedical Ethics & the Law, Principles of Health Care Ethics and Masters Research Capstone. No more than two independent study courses can be applied to the degree. Click for complete Course Descriptions.
MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIPS
Ask us about our academic merit-based, partial tuition scholarships for newly admitted masters degree program students. Be sure to check the financial aid box on your application to apply.
To request information, please select Biomedical Sciences in Program of Interest, then choose: Bioethics & Health Policy for Areas of Interest.
Ask us about our academic merit-based, partial tuition scholarships for newly admitted master's degree program students.