OPEN HOUSE WEBINAR
March 24th at Noon CST
Interested in continuing your education in bioethics and meeting our faculty? Join us for our live open house webinar. RSVP to Robbin Hiller at firstname.lastname@example.org
You are here
"The doctoral degree in bioethics at Loyola has opened up opportunities to broaden my experience and my involvement in national bioethics in developing better programs for ethics education."
Richard Holt, MD, D.Bioethics (2012)
"The clinical courses that I took in the doctoral program have actually made me a better clinician in making bed side decisions. Not just in clinical ethics, but also as a healthcare provider."
Cherie Sammis-Berman, NP, D. Bioethics (2013)
DOCTORATE in BIOETHICS (D.Bioethics)
Our professional doctorate in bioethics (D.Bioethics) is a first of its kind and meets the growing need for advanced training in bioethics for those professionals that have increased responsibilities related to bioethics and health policy at their institution. Such individuals may serve as chair of a hospital’s ethics committee, perform clinical ethics consultations, have administrative oriented ethics work or are a steward for issues central to your institution’s mission and values. This degree offers health care professionals an opportunity to obtain a high quality doctorate through a hybrid delivery system (asynchronous online courses combined with short on-campus intensive courses.)
KEY FEATURES OF OUR ONLINE GRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMS IN BIOETHICS
- Convenient, reliable and rigorous distance education for working professionals. Only top caliber graduate or professional degreed adult learners accepted.
- An interdisciplinary, multicultural and pluralistic program.
- Taught by Loyola University Chicago faculty who are dedicated to online education with decades of combined experience.
- The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
- Very low attrition, 90% of students entering the program complete the degree.
- For those students who are able to devote full-time to the program, the convenience of online learning does offer the possibility to complete the master's degree in as short as one year.
- Our students routinely publish their work and present at national meetings. Click here for an up-to-date listing.
ABOUT THE DEGREE
The doctorate in bioethics (D.Bioethics) consists of 57 hours of course credit. The D.Bioethics is a professional doctoral degree typically requires 30 hours course credit (5 required courses and 5 elective courses) beyond the typical M.A. degree in Bioethics or Health Care Ethics. Up to 27 credit-hours are transferable from an M.A. program* in bioethics or healthcare ethics.
Students will be required to select a concentration in Catholic Bioethics, Organizational Ethics, or Clinical Ethics. Each concentration requires 3 specific courses. Concentration course requirements are as follows:
- Catholic Bioethics - Moral Theology for Bioethics; Catholic Bioethics in Clinical Practice; Catholic Bioethics and Social Justice
- Organizational Ethics and Leadership - Organizational Ethics I; Organizational Ethics II; Practicum in Mission Leadership/Organizational Ethics
- Clinical Bioethics - Ethics Across the Care Continuum; Ethics Consultation Simulation Seminar; Practicum in Clinical Ethics
Other requirements for the doctoral degree:
- Qualifying written and oral examination
- Two doctoral capstone courses (these courses should result in peer reviewed articles)
- In-person capstone presentation
* Doctoral applicants must hold a master's degree in bioethics or health care ethics. Admission is highly competitive and only top caliber gradaute or professional degreed adult learners accepted.
To request information, please select Biomedical Sciences in Program of Interest, then choose: Bioethics & Health Policy for Areas of Interest.
Ask us about our academic merit-based, partial tuition scholarships for newly admitted master's degree program students.